Updated: August 14, 2017 2:14:57 PM
Infection Length: 621,930 bytes
Risk Impact: Low
Systems Affected: Mac
OSX.Mughthesec is an adware program that displays advertisements and may download and install potentially unwanted applications on the computer.
Antivirus Protection Dates
- Initial Rapid Release version August 14, 2017 revision 004
- Latest Rapid Release version December 18, 2018 revision 006
- Initial Daily Certified version August 14, 2017 revision 008
- Latest Daily Certified version December 18, 2018 revision 007
- Initial Weekly Certified release date August 16, 2017
Click here for a more detailed description of Rapid Release and Daily Certified virus definitions.
Once executed, the program creates the following files:
- ~/Library/Application Support/com.Mughthesec/Mughthesec
The program may connect to one or more of the following remote locations:
Next, the program installs a legitimate version of Adobe Flash Player for Mac on the computer.
The program then changes the the browser's homepage and displays advertisements on the computer.
The program may also download and install potentially unwanted applications on the computer.
The following instructions pertain to all current and recent Symantec antivirus products for Macintosh.
- Update the virus definitions.
- Run a full system scan and repair or delete all the files detected.
1. To update the virus definitions
To obtain the most recent virus definitions run LiveUpdate: These virus definitions are posted to the LiveUpdate servers regularly. To determine whether definitions for this threat are available by LiveUpdate, refer to the Virus Definitions (LiveUpdate) .
2. To scan for and delete the infected files
- Start your Norton AntiVirus or Symantec Endpoint Protection for Macintosh program and make sure that it is configured to scan all files.
- Run a full system scan.
- If any files are detected, click Repair (if available) or Delete.